Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Jonnycakes!

The little grommet did not sleep well last night.  He was up often and inconsolable.  The only thing that would finally got him back to sleep was a little local eating of his own . . . if you catch my drift.  But then he'd be up again and crying.  Being a first-time mom, I of course assume I've done something wrong, or apply adult emotions to him and draw the conclusion that he resents having no say in the eating local challenge.  Realistically though, I think he is just teething.

Anyway, I only mention this because when we got up this morning (the time we got up at 7, I mean - not the time we got up at 1 or 3 . . . ) I wanted something quick and easy for breakfast.  I used up most of the yogurt yesterday so that couldn't happen, and I didn't want to do boiled eggs because I think at the time I thought that would waste too many eggs, but now this reasoning seems ridiculous and I wish I had.

Instead, I made jonnycakes.  

1 c. cornmeal
Pinch of salt
1 c. boiling water
1/2 cup milk

Fry like pancakes in bacon grease or butter.  Serve with butter and maple syrup.  

They were good but they take a long time to cook and the grommet was still fussy so I had a steady stream of jonnycakes flowing his way, and minimal cakes for myself.  In fact, by the time I'd cooked three jonnycakes, grommet had eaten two, plus two slices of honeydew melon.  So I ate while I cooked and had three with maple syrup.



Oh, and in case you're wondering why I was only feeding myself, dear hubby and Dan took the skiff out first thing to catch the low tide and dig clams.  Actually, Dan sat in the boat and drank his tea while hubby dug.  It's not that Dan is lazy, though; he just doesn't have a clamming license so his spectator status is a legal necessity.  

The guys are excited to make some clam chowder later today.  I have no clue what I'll whip up for lunch.  Maybe some polenta and pasta sauce.  It's supposed to rain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below!