Saturday, September 22, 2012

Taking it easy

So, it turns out, baby grommet wasn't up all night thinking about how he'd been roped into the eat local challenge unwillingly.  He was up all night because the poor little guy is sick!  I didn't even know that so much booger could come out of such a little nose.  And his cough!  He has the saddest little (big!) cough.

This all means that we were up about five times last night and on a few of those times, the only thing we could do was rock the inconsolable little guy while he wailed.  This morning we are exhausted.  To top if off, dear hubby went back to wrk this morning and will be gone for five days straight so it's just me and baby grommet now.  This calls for some simple, no-fuss cooking.

But before I get to today, let me fill you in on yesterday.  Lunch was leftovers.  We have a ton of leftovers and they're easy so it's a no brainer.  Dinner, though, was a huge hit.  Dan had dropped off some local sea scallops for dear hubby's birthday and our latest CSA share was loaded with beautiful potatoes, plus I had scored some green house sweet potatoes at another farm.  I made crispy roasted potatoes with garlic and parsley, seared scallops w shallots and fresh herbs, and a green salad.  Yummmmmmm.


This morning I enjoyed the last of the apple crisp with custard and baby grommet gobbled up some oatmeal.


For lunch I did our go-to easy meal - jonnycakes, this time topped with goat's cheese and smoked bluefish, also courtesy of Dan.  



I had a side of green salad and baby grommet had the last of Thursday's spicy chicken soup (good for his cold!)  It was the first time I'd given him soup and he seemed to really like it.  He is also having some weak mint tea brewed from mint in our garden.    

Right now I'm defrosting some chicken thighs and drumsticks from Tendercrop, and some tomatoes from our garden that I blanched, peeled, and froze last week.  I'm going to throw it in the crockpot with some other veggies and let it all stew for a while, then serve it with some creamy polenta.  A slow cooked meal for a slow kind of day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below!