Sunday, September 16, 2012

The fat


I routinely drive by fields of sunflowers around here.  Of course, when it came time to actually think of where I had seen these fields, I couldn’t remember a single one specifically, but I know they are everywhere.  

This is why it came as a surprise to me when I couldn’t find local cooking oil.  I knew we’d have butter, and I knew we’d have bacon grease, but what about something lighter?  Certainly there are not olive trees around here, but some kind of vegetable oil?  Something for dressing my salad? Aha - I knew what I could get - sunflower oil!   

Turns out, no I couldn’t.  I found two different places doing it in Maine (see here and here) but none widely distributed, and certainly nothing within a few hundred miles.  This was one thing we’d have to do without for the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below!